WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
EVOLUTION OF THE ORGANIZATIONStakes:
St. George Stake was formed on November 7, 1869
Zion Park Stake was split off from the St. George Stake on December 8, 1929
Uvada Stake was split off from the St. George Stake on December 15, 1940
St. George East Stake was split off from the St. George Stake on February 5, 1961
As a result of a church-wide policy that went into effect on February 1, 1974 to name stakes with a city name followed by a state name:
The St. George Stake was renamed the St. George Utah Stake
The Zion Park Stake was renamed the Hurricane Utah Stake
The Uvada Stake was renamed the Enterprise Utah Stake
The St. George East Stake was renamed the St. George Utah East Stake
St. George Utah YSA 1st Stake (originally called the Saint George Utah College Stake) formed on May 30, 1976 by ???
St. George Utah West Stake was split off from the St. George Stake on March 5, 1978
St. George Utah North Stake formed on March 5, 1978 by ???
Washington Utah Stake formed on January 7, 1979 by ???
Hurricane Utah North Stake was formed in 1981 by ???
LaVerkin Utah Stake was formed on October 11, 1981 by ???
Santa Clara Utah Stake was split off from the St. George Utah West Stake on August 29, 1982
St. George Utah Bloomington Hills Stake was formed on October 20, 1985 (January 4, 1987 ???) by ???
St. George Utah Pine View Stake (originally called the Washington Utah West Stake) formed on January 18, 1987 by ???
Bloomington Utah Stake formed on March 6, 1988 by ???
St. George Utah Green Valley Stake formed on August 25, 1991 by ???
St. George Utah Snow Canyon Stake (originally called the St George Utah Dixie Downs Stake) was split off from
the Santa Clara Utah Stake on August 25, 1991
St. George Utah Morningside Stake formed on November 20, 1994 by ???
Ivins Utah Stake was split off from the Santa Clara Utah Stake on February 11, 1996
Hurricane Utah West Stake on March 10, 1996 by ???
Washington Utah Buena Vista Stake formed on June 1, 1997 by ???
St. George Utah YSA 2nd Stake (originally called Saint George Utah College 2nd Stake) formed in August 16, 1998 by ???
St. George Utah Washington Fields Stake formed on June 25, 2000 by ???
St. George Utah Sunset Stake formed on April 20, 2003 by ???
St. George Utah Little Valley Stake formed on August 28, 2005 by ???
St. George Utah Red Cliffs Stake formed on October 29, 2006 by ???
Washington Utah East Stake formed on June 22, 2008 by ???
Santa Clara Heights Utah Stake formed on November 11, 2011 by ???
Santa Clara Ward was organized in 1859 and split into the Santa Clara First Ward and Santa Clara Second Ward on August 27, 1978
The Toquerville Ward was organized in 1861.
Rockville Ward was organized in ???? (by 1865) by ???
Virgin Ward was organized in 1866 from the Virgin Branch
Pinto Ward was organized in 1867 from the Pinto Branch and was disorganized in 1916?
Hebron Ward was formed in 1869 and became the Enterprise Ward on October 19,1905
Leeds Ward was organized in 1874
Grafton Ward was organized in 1877
Rockville Ward was organized in ???? by ???
Gunlock Ward was organized on February 16, 1879
Price City Ward was organized on January 18, 1879 and was disorganized on April 25, 1904
LaVerkin Ward was organized in 1904 as part of the St. George Stake
Enterprise Ward was formed on October 19, 1905 by renaming the Hebron Ward
Veyo Ward was formed in 1918
LaVerkin First Ward was organized in 1978 when the LaVerkin Ward was split
LaVerkin Second Ward was organized in 1978 when the LaVerkin Ward was split
Santa Clara First Ward was organized on August 27, 1978 when the Santa Clara Ward was split
Santa Clara Second Ward was organized on August 27, 1978 when the Santa Clara Ward was split
Santa Clara Third Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Second Ward in 1982
LaVerkin Third Ward was organized in 1987 by ???
Santa Clara Fourth Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Second Ward in May of 1987
Santa Clara Fifth Ward was split off from the Santa Clara First Ward in October of 1987
Santa Clara Sixth Ward was created in April of 1991 with the realignment of the Santa Clara Second Ward, Santa Clara Third Ward,
and Santa Clara Fourth Ward boundaries
Santa Clara Seventh Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Fourth Ward in December of 1992
Santa Clara Eighth Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Seventh Ward in February of 1996
Leeds Second Ward was split off from the Leeds Ward on February 25, 1996
Santa Clara Ninth Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Eighth Ward in November of 1997
Santa Clara Tenth Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Fifth Ward in May of 1998
Santa Clara Eleventh Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Eioghth Ward in November of 2000
Santa Clara Twelfth Ward was split off from the Santa Clara Tenth Ward in September of 2003
Shunesburg Branch of the Rockville Ward was formed about 1865 and lasted for about three decades
Grafton Branch of the Rockville Ward resulted from the demotion of the Grafton Ward in 1907 and was decommissioned altogether in 1921
Gunlock Branch of the Santa Clara Ward was organized in June of 1877 and became the Gunlock ward in 1879
Pinto Branch was organized in 1859 and became the Pinto Ward in 1867
Virgin Branch of the Rockville Ward was formed about 1865
Southern Indian Mission was announced at the October 1853 General Conference
Dixie Cotton Mission began with the arrival of the first settlers in April of 1857
Southern Utah Mission was announced at the October 1861 General Conference
Muddy Mission was formed in 1864 or 1865
Utah St. George Mission formed in 2010 by ???
BUILDINGSBloomington Stake Center
Duncan L.D.S. Meetinghouse
Enterprise First Meetinghouse
Enterprise Second Meetinghouse
Enterprise Stake Center
Gunlock Church - Original
Gunlock Church - Old
Gunlock Church - New
Old Hurricane Chapel
Old LaVerkin Chapel
Leeds Rock Church and School
Leeds Old Church
Leeds New Church
Manzanita Chapel, Bloomington
Mulberry Chapel, Bloomington
Old New Harmony Church
New Harmony Ward Chapel
Pine Valley Chapel
Pinto Ward Chapel and School
Price City Chapel
South Ward Chapel - St. George
Old St. George Chapel
St. George Tabernacle
St. George Temple
Veyo Chapel - Old
Veyo Chapel - New
Washington Ward Building
REFERENCES"St. George 5th and 6th Wards Bishops Recognition Day" Program
October 29, 1978
This document has photos and biographies of all the bishops to date.
"History - Bunkerville Wards"
Bunkerville Chapel Dedication Program Booklet
May 26, 1991
"The Insiders' Guide to Southwestern Utah"
by Lyman Hafen and Linda Sappington