Washington Church & School Building

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

WASHINGTON WARD & SCHOOL BUILDING

Washington, Utah

LOCATION

82 North Main Street
Washington, UT 84780

Just north of the current Washington City Museum.


HISTORY

This building was built in 1877. It was originally used for both a church and a school building.

It was used as a school until a new school building was built just to the south of it.

A major addition was added on the south side of the original building. That addition was dedicated on April 23, 1961.

This building was eventually torn down and replaced with a newer church building on the same site.


PHOTOS

Washington Church & School Building
Washington Ward building in 1940

Washington Church & School Building
WCHS-02553   Washington Ward building in 1961

Washington Church & School Building
USHS-0009   Washington Ward building in 1977

WCHS photos:
WCHS-01466     Photo of people in front of the Washington Church & School in February 1898
WCHS-02551     Photo of construction beginning on the addition to the Washington Ward building
WCHS-02552     Photo of stone masons at work on the Washington Ward Building
WCHS-02554     Photo of the new addition to the Washington Ward Building
WCHS-02555     Photo of the inside of the chapel in the Washington Ward Building
WCHS-02556     Photo of the inside of the recreation hall in the Washington Ward Building

Other photos on the web:
1940 photo of the Washington Ward building
1940 photo of the Washington Ward building


REFERENCES

Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey, Washington Ward Chapel
Call Number: HABS UTAH,27-WASH,2-
Survey number HABS UT-17

Washington Ward Dedication Souvenir
Sunday,   April 23, 1961,   7:00 p.m.