WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
OLD GUNLOCK CHURCH AND SCHOOL
(now the Gunlock Town Hall)
LOCATION??? N. Main Street (County Road 3184)
Gunlock, UT 84733
37° 17' 12.74" North Latitude, 113° 45' 46.37" West Longitude
37.2869° North Latitude, 113.7629° West Longitude
3,379 feet (1,121 meters) MSL
HISTORYThis church and school replaced the original Gunlock church and school in 1912. The property was acquired from Hyrum E. Jones by trading it for the original church & school building.
In the early 1950s, the church building underwent a major remodeling. Edward R. Frei of Santa Clara was the project supervisor. The people of the town did most of the work. After four years of remodeling, the Gunlock Ward Chapel was rededicated by Elder Hugh B. Brown on March 28, 1954.
In 1958, the school was closed and thereafter students were bussed to St. George.
In 1962, the outside of the building was repainted.
In 1965, a groundbreaking was held for the renovation of the old school building as an annex to the church. The Ward obtained a lease for the school property. Fred Birkhead was brought in from Ogden to supervise the project. Members of the ward donated the labor. The building was dedicated February 6, 1966 by President Andrew O. McArthur.
Then again in 1972 some further remodeling was done.
In 1977, the ouside was completely repainted again.
This church was replaced by the new Gunlock Ward chapel.
This building is currently used as the Gunlock Town Hall.