WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION (May, 2006)
to the Toquerville Historical Society
for the preservation and restoration of the 127 year old Toquerville Church
Toquerville Historical Society for the preservation and restoration of their
127 year old Church located on the main street of Toquerville.
The building was origionally erected in 1879 as a meeting place for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 years after the first eight families were sent from New Harmony to settle the area. The town thrived on its cotton, cane, grapes, and fruit industries.
The building has been restored for use as the Toquerville Town Hall. It may also be used as a museum. A wing with City Offices was built on the back. Toquerville residents Bob and Virginia Olsen poured countless hours into the decoration and remodeling efforts for the building. One of the quilts donated by Virginia is that of a cowboy boot. It hangs on a wall next to the original stove of building. Old photos of past residents and events can also be seen along the walls. These photos are framed with wood from old Toquerville barns and homes, all crafted by Bob Olsen. Lace curtains cover the windows while heavy red-orange colored velvet curtains frame the sides. These curtains along with two large handmade quilts help act to silence the echo that can be present in this old building. The wood floors still exist and were refinished. New wood paneling was added to the walls. Storage closets on the stage were built and all the interior was painted. The top concrete step into the front doors scoops down, giving evidence to a site that was well-used. But a modern handicap ramp has been added on the south side of the building. Outside, there is new grass on the north side, in front of the new city offices. Trees were planted and more landscaping was added.