WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
MISCELLANEOUS SCHOOLS IN WASHINGTON COUNTY
In addition to the major school buildings listed in the
there were many private schools and classes held in homes and other facilities.
BIG TENTThe early settlers placed a high value on education; a wagon box beneath the cottonwoods was the first school facility. On December 4th, 1861, Elder Erastus Snow called the people together in the "big tent" and organized a school. Jabez Woodward was called to be the teacher. Classes were held in the "big tent" for two weeks until a great rainstorm came along and the tent had to be used to house people who had lost their homes in the Tonaquint flood.
JAMES G. BLEAKDuring the period of the construction of the four ward school houses in St. George, James G. Bleak held a school in one of the rooms of the Jesse W. Crosby home.
RHODA KNELL CANNONIn the fall of 1947, the school board and superintendant purchased the Rhoda Knell Cannon home and remodeled it for kindergarten classes.
ORPHA EVERETTAs soon as people started moving onto their lots in the newly surveyed town in January of 1862, Orpha Everett taught school in a tent on her lot, Plat A, Block 12, Lot 1, on the old pioneer map of St. George.
JOHN M. McFARLANEDuring the period of the construction of the four ward school houses in St. George, John M. McFarlane held a school in the second floor of Mrs. James M. Whitmore's home.
JOSEPH ORTONAround 1869, Joseph Orton taught a night school for those who had to labor during the day.
MARGARET SNELLStarting early in 1862, Margaret Snell taught a private school in her home. For a brief description of her style of teaching (the "force" method as described by Charled Dickens), see Page 299 of the "Under Dixie Sun" book.
OTHER CLASSESAround 1869, advanced or special courses were given by Richard Horton in the Gardener's Club Hall and George Spencer in the basement of the St. George Tabernacle.
REFERENCESWashington County D.U.P., "Under Dixie Sun - A History of Washington County"