WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
St. George, Utah
LOCATION37 N. Main Street
St. George, UT 84770
Telephone ORchard 3-9964 in the 1961 telephone book
In the right third of the ground floor of the Wadsworth Building between the Dixie Theatre and McArthur's Jewelers.
HISTORYRex & Cleo Nelson bought the old Wadsworth Fountain in 1949 and operated it under that name for a while. Later, they changed the name to Rex's Fountain.
Rex's Fountain was a very popular malt shoppe & burger joint during the 1950s.
Sometime between 1958 and 1961, Jimmy Sammons took over the business and renamed it Jimmy's Fountain & Lunch.
WCHS-01355 Rex's Fountain was just to the right of the Dixie Theatre with an awning over the sidewalk
WCHS-01370 Rex (right) & Cleo (left) Nelson are behind the counter with two Strickland sisters between them and a customer in front of the counter
Other WCHS photos:
WCHS-01433 An old ice cream scoop