WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
THIRD WARD SCHOOL
St. George, Utah
LOCATIONSt. George, Utah
On the northwest corner of Third North and Third West.
Plat A, Block 40, Lot 2 on the old pioneer map of St. George.
HISTORYEarly St. George was divided into four school districts. Each district had a group of three trustees and a similar building. The First Ward building was the first one built, followed by the Third Ward, Second Ward, and Fourth Ward buildings.
The Third Ward school house was better than the other three. It was 25 feet by 50 feet with a 14 foot ceiling. The artistic dental cornice on this building was the same as that on the St. George Hall and on the Social Hall in Salt Lake City.
As early as 1871, a high school was taught in the Third Ward school house by Richard Horne.
The Third Ward school was in operation until September of 1901 when the students and teachers were moved over to the new Woodward School.
WCHS-01465 People in front of the Third Ward School
REFERENCESWashington County D.U.P., " Under Dixie Sun - A History of Washington County"