WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
FOURTH WARD SCHOOL
St. George, Utah
LOCATIONSt. George, Utah
The northwest quarter of the block between Main Street and 100 East and between 100 North and 200 North (where the post office is now).
Plat A, Block 29, Lots 5 & 6 on the old pioneer map of St. George.
HISTORYEarly St. George was divided into four school districts. Each district had a group of three trustees and a similar building. The First Ward building was the first one built, followed by the Third Ward, Second Ward, and Fourth Ward buildings.
The Fourth Ward school house was a two-story building. Contruction was done by Willis Coplin.
In 1869, Richard Horne taught the higher grades in the upper room while Mrs. Purse taught the lower grades in the basement.
The Fourth Ward school was in operation until September of 1901 when the students and teachers were moved over to the new Woodward School.
REFERENCESWashington County D.U.P., " Under Dixie Sun - A History of Washington County"
Eleanor C. W. Jarvis, "Data on school teachers and schools attended by Eleanor C. W. Jarvis"