WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
PEOPLE'S PROGRESSIVE TELEPHONE COMPANY
HISTORYIn 1913, the people of Gunlock and their neighbors in the surrounding areas felt a need for a telephone system. They formed a company, later known as "The People's Progressive Telephone Company". It put up telephone lines that served the areas from Moapa to Enterprise, including Moapa, Bunkerville, Mesquite, Santa Clara, Gunlock, Enterprise, New Castle, Pine Valley, Central, and Veyo. They eventually included some lines into St. George.
The company was incorporated in April of 1914. It had 260 miles of lines and 75 telephones.
REFERENCESHelen B. Gardener and Quenton T. Bowler, " The People's Progressive Telephone Company, 1912-17: The Dream and the Reality".
Utah Historical Quarterly (UHQ), Volume 61, Number 1 (Winter 1993)
Washington County Chapter, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, " Under Dixie Sun".
1950 with 1978 Supplement.