WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
HOSPITALS IN WASHINGTON COUNTY
Silver Reef Hospital
Washington County Hospital
Dixie Pioneer Memorial Hospital
Dixie Medical Center (DRMC)
Dixie Regional Medical Center (DRMC) - 400 East Campus
Dixie Regional Medical Center (DRMC) - River Road Campus
HISTORYIn 1913, Dr. Donald A. McGregor moved from Beaver to St. George. He was a surgeon and soon set up the Washington County Hospital in a 2-story home in downtown St. George. In 1917, the hospital's name was changed to the McGregor Hospital in the doctor's honor. It was operated by the McGregor family until 1952.
In 1952, Washington County residents pooled their resources to build and open the Dixie Pioneer Memorial Hospital replacing the old McGregor Hospital.
In 1975, the Dixie Pioneer Memorial Hospital was expanded to accomodate regional growth and became the Dixie Medical Center.
In 1976, Washington County selected Intermountain Healthcare to purchase and operate Dixie Medical Center.
In 1990, the facility was renamed Dixie Regional Medical Center (DRMC).
This hospital was replaced in 2003 by the new Dixie Regional Medical Center - River Road Campus. The old hospital was retained as a supplementary DRMC 400 East Campus.
REFERENCESIHC Dixie Regional Medical Center History
Hospital CareCentennial celebrating 100 years of hospitals in Washington County