McGregor Hospital

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

WASHINGTON COUNTY HOSPITAL

McGREGOR HOSPITAL

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

35 South 100 East
St. George, Utah
Telephone 265


DESCRIPTION

See the references below.


HISTORY

In 1913, Dr. Donald A. McGregor moved from Beaver to St. George. He joined with his brother-in-law, Dr. Frank Woodbury to raise $10,000 from the community (Addie Price?) and they purchased the old Morris Hotel and turned it into a hospital. The Washington County Hospital opened on July 8, 1913 with 7 patient beds.

In 1917 (1924?), the hospital's name was changed to the McGregor Hospital in Dr. McGregor's honor. It was operated by the McGregor family (brothers Dr. Alpine W. McGregor and Dr. Lorenzo W. McGregor) until August of 1952 when it was replaced by the new Dixie Pioneer Memorial Hospital.

Note: There was a McGregor Hospital in Beaver before the one in St. George.

Also see the McGregor Clinic.


PHOTOS

McGregor Hospital
WCHS-01876     McGregor Hospital in Early Days
        McGregor Hospital
        WCHS-00791     Front of the McGregor Hospital
 
Back of the McGregor Hospital
WCHS-01879     Back of the McGregor Hospital
        McGregor Hospital
        WCHS-01880     Nurses Station at the McGregor Hospital

Other WCHS photos:
WCHS-01877     Photo of a painting of the McGregor Hospital
WCHS-01878     Photo of the McGregor Hospital building in the 1980s


REFERENCES

Excerpt from a McGregor biography talking about the hospital.

Article about the Washington County Hospital (about 1937)

IHC Dixie Regional Medical Center History