WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
WILLOW SCHOOL HOUSE
St. George, Utah
LOCATIONOn the northwest corner of Second South and First East.
HISTORYBefore March 1st of 1862, a good sized willow school house had been erected on Plat A, Block 12, Lot 1 on the old pioneer map of St. George. The walls were made of cottonwood poles driven in the ground and woven tightly with water willows, the roof being made of similar material. For a protection against the cold, a thick coat of mud was plastered over the willows. In the center of this room, resting on the dirt floor, was a huge flat rock. On this was a pole which supported the rock also served as a desk for the fortunate children who had anything to write with.
The Willow School was replaced by the more permanent First Ward School built nearby.
WCHS-01464 Sketch by LeRoy Condie
REFERENCESStarting of education in Southern Utah
Washington County D.U.P., " Under Dixie Sun - A History of Washington County"
Eleanor C. W. Jarvis, "Data on school teachers and schools attended by Eleanor C. W. Jarvis"