WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
HURRICANE HIGH SCHOOL
LOCATION345 West 100 South
Hurricane, UT 84737
HISTORYHigh school instruction began in September of 1918. But it grew very slowly until 1928. Classes were held in the Hurricane Elementary School building.
A site for a new building was purchased in 1934. Funding was provided by the Work Projects Administration (WPA). The total cost of the building was $100,000. The Hurricane High School building was started in the fall of 1935 and was finished November of 1936. Classes began in the new building after the Thanksgiving break in 1936. Seventh and eighth grades were also moved into the high school building.
In 1969, a new Fine Arts Building was added to the campus.
A new High School building was finished in time for the 1977-1978 school year. At that time, the Middle School was formed and held in the old High School building.
Vivian Decker (1917-1918)
A. L. Winsor (1918-1919)
H. Val Hafen (1919-1921)
Willard Nisson (1921-1924)
Lorenzo Parker (1924-1927)
Milton E. Moody (1927-1928)
Glenn E. Snow (1928-1932)
Leeman Bennett (1932-1936)
Maurice Nuttal (1938-????)
Note: Between the 1917 and 1936, Hurricane Elementary School and Hurricane High School had the same principal and building.
Hurricane High School
Hurricane High School Shop Building
Hurricane Library with the High School in the background
REFERENCESWashington County D.U.P., " Under Dixie Sun - A History of Washington County"
pp. 407, 411-414
1978 Supplement, pp. 16
Many of the Hurricane High School yearbooks are online at
You must register to see them, but registration is free.