WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
THE FIRST ST. GEORGE BOWERY
St. George, Utah
LOCATIONJust south of where the St. George Tabernacle would later be built, between there and the future site of the Dixie College Gymnasium.
DESCRIPTIONThe Bowery was a temporary shelter built of posts and a covering of tree boughs.
HISTORYThe Bowery was built in December of 1861, almost immediately after the arrival of the first pioneers in St. George. It was used for meetings and social events until better facilities could be constructed.
This was the location of the party held on Christmas Eve of 1861, when the great rain of 1861-1862 began.
This bowery was replaced/supplemented? in the fall of 1864 by a better and larger one on the next block to the north.
REFERENCESDiary of Charles Lowell Walker
Volume 1, Page 244, Footnote 23