WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
DAUGHTERS OF UTAH PIONEERS (DUP)
McQuarrie Memorial Museum
145 North 100 East
St. George, UT 84770
Admission is free.
Hours: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays
Private tours can be arranged by calling the museum.
HOLDINGSThe McQuarrie Memorial Museum has over 2000 pioneer histories (including people, localities, and obituaries), 500+ pioneer photographs, and 1500+ artifacts. Copies of any of the histories and photos can be ordered and put on a CD for a small fee. For indicies, see:
List of personal histories
List of photos
List of artifacts
List of histories of past DUP member
List of histories of local sites
List of miscellaneous histories
Each month, one of the artifacts is featured with a news article:
September 2009 Artifact of the Month - Portable Organ
November 2009 Artifact of the Month - Bottom Part of a Chafing Dish
February 2010 Artifact of the Month - Eight Day Clock
HISTORYMrs. Hortense McQuarrie Odlum, a granddaughter of an early mayor of St. George, was approached with the idea of creating a place to put many choice heirlooms held by family members. She provided financing for a building with the express purpose of housing pioneer relics.
The McQuarrie Memorial Hall was completed in 1938 and dedicated on June 17 of that year.
The museum is presently maintained and operated by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP).
PHOTOSIn the photograph below from the book, "Under Dixie Sun", appear (left to right) Frank Penrose, Hortense McQuarrie Odlum, Hector McQuarrie, Ella M. Hatch, Rulon McQuarrie, Zella M. Walker, Marie M. Hemenway, Ruth M. Penrose, Mrs. Hector McQuarrie, and Walter Walker.
WCHS-00868 Postcard photo of the McQuarrie Memorial Hall
Landmark and Historic Sites: Informational Guide of Historical Sites within the City of St. George
Second Edition, Revised 2011, p. 55
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department