WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS (CCC) CAMP
The Gunlock CCC Camp was also known as SCS-2.
LOCATIONLocated on the east side of the Highway just as you enter Gunlock from the south.
See the map of CCC camps in Washington County.
HISTORYIn the March of 1935, a C.C.C. camp was built on the east side of the creek from Gunlock. It was on private land. About 200 boys, mostly from Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky were stationed there. They were a division of the Soil Conservation Corps and worked on fences, flood control, roads, and ditches.
CCC Co. 585, SCS-2
When the Gunlock CCC Camp was discontinued in June of 1937, the company was moved over to the Leeds CCC Camp.
WCHS-00172 CCC Company 585, Camp SCS-2, June 11, 1936
Other WCHS photos:
WCHS-00502 Photo of people of the Gunlock CCC Camp, CCC Company 585, Camp SCS-2
WCHS-00503 Photo of people of the Gunlock? CCC Camp
WCHS-00504 Photo of the area where the old Gunlock? CCC Camp was
WCHS-00505 Photo of a Dixie National Forest sign with a group of CCC enrollees
WCHS-00506 Photo of some CCC enrollees in their barracks, possibly at the Gunlock CCC Camp
Other photos on the web:
Photo of the Gunlock CCC Camp and surrounding areas
Photo of the Gunlock CCC Camp
REFERENCESBook: "With Picks, Shovels & Hope: The CCC and Its Legacy on the Colorado Plateau"
Washington County Chapter, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, " Under Dixie Sun".
1950 with 1978 Supplement.