WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
THE UNION (aka THE UNION AND VILLAGE ECHO)
St. George and Bloomington, Utah
LOCATIONSt. George, Utah
HISTORYThe Union was first published in St. George on June 14, 1878 by Joseph W. Carpenter who had previously published The St. George Juvenile and a little later, The St. George Enterprise.
Publications were intermittent including a gap between November 2, 1878 (Volume 1, Number 11) and November 12, 1880 (Volume 1, Number 12) and missing January of 1882.
Operations were moved to Bloomington and in June of 1882 the name was changed to The Union and Village Echo.
By November 13, 1897 (Volume 10, Number 42), the name was again The Union and publication was in St. George.
On March 19, 1898, Carpenter pleaded for support and said if there was none forthcoming, The Union would be discontinued. John R. Wallis considered buying the business, but decided the plant was too obsolete. Wallis bought new equipment and started the Washington County News. Publishing of The Union was discontinued on May 19, 1898 and Carpenter sold his equipment to James T. Jakeman who began publishing The Southern Star.
REFERENCESFor a list of issues and links to those that are online, click here.
About the Union (St. George, Utah) 1878-1878
About the St. George Union (St. George, Utah) 1880-1882
About The Union and The Union & Village Echo (St. George and Bloomington, Utah) 1882-1898
Southern Utah Memories: Newspapers of Washington County, Utah, 1864 to 1994 - Part 1 of a two-part series
by Loren R. Webb, December 15, 2012