???

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

WASHINGTON COUNTY NEWS

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

?? Main Street
St. George, Utah

23 East 100 North
St. George, UT 84770
Telephone 149                           in the 1941 telephone book
Telephone ORchard 3-4141     in the 1958 telephone book
Telephone ORchard 3-4141     in the 1961 telephone book
Telephone 673-4341                 in the 1972 telephone book


HISTORY

John R. Wallis published the Washington County News on an experimental basis from June 18, 1898 to July 28, 1900. He then sold the paper to D.U. Cochrane who began publishing The Dixie Falcon.

The Washington County News began again on January 30, 1908. John R. Wallis was the editor and proprietor for the next two decades. The paper eventually ceased publication in 1988.


PHOTOS

Washington County News and Old Post Office


REFERENCES

Utah Digital Newspapers Search Washington County News

Newspaper clipping from an unknown source in 1908

Southern Utah Memories: Newspapers of Washington County, Utah, 1864 to 1994 - Part 1 of a two-part series,   December 15, 2012
by Loren R. Webb,   December 15, 2012