Front of the Sugar Loaf Cafe in St. George

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

SUGAR LOAF CAFE

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

309 East 100 North     (Highway 91 and now St. George Blvd.)
St. George, UT 84770
Telephone ORchard 3-3471     in the 1958 telephone book     (Sugar Loaf Cafe)
Telephone ORchard 3-3471     in the 1961 telephone book     (Sugar Loaf Cafe)
Telephone 673-3471                 in the 1972 telephone book     (Atkin's Sugar Loaf Cafe)

290 East 100 North     (Highway 91 and now St. George Blvd.)
St. George, UT 84770


HISTORY

The Sugar Loaf Cafe at 309 East 100 North in St. George was built about 1946 by Don McDonald.

Rudger, Sid, and Clayton Atkin bought it in 1958 and ran it at that location for 17 1/2 years.

The Atkins owned the building, but only leased the land. So when the lease was up, they moved the business to a property they owned at 290 East 100 North.

After the Sugar Loaf Cafe closed, the building at 290 East 100 North was used for the Andelin's Gable House, Godfather's Pizza, and currently the Wagon Wheel Diner.


PHOTOS

Sugar Loaf Cafe
WCHS-00870     Sugar Loaf Cafe
        Sugar Loaf Cafe
        WCHS-00871     Sugar Loaf Cafe
 
Sugar Loaf Cafe
WCHS-00872     Sugar Loaf Cafe
        Sugar Loaf Cafe
        WCHS-00873     Sugar Loaf Cafe
 
Sugar Loaf Cafe
WCHS-00874     Sugar Loaf Cafe
        Sugar Loaf Cafe
        WCHS-02383     Atkin's Sugar Loaf Cafe

Other WCHS photos:
WCHS-00875     Back of a Sugar Loaf Cafe postcard with road mileages
WCHS-01966     Photo of Atkins Sugar Loaf Cafe in St. George
WCHS-01967     Photo of Atkins Sugar Loaf Cafe in St. George
WCHS-01968     Photo of the inside of Atkins Sugar Loaf Cafe in St. George


REFERENCES

Advertisement in the 1961 Dixie Roundup Program