WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
TOWN DITCH (42WS4376)
New Harmony, Utah
LOCATIONThe Town Ditch originates at Comanche Dam within T 38S, Range 13W, Section 21 at an elevation of about 5,380 feet. From there, water enters the ditch via a short (19 meters, 62 feet) earthen segment which then joins a concrete lined ditch through a large steel headgate. The concrete ditch runs down 1,350 meters (0.84 mile) and terminates within T 38S, Range 13W, Section 16 wherre it enters the Town of New Harmony.
HISTORYAn earthen ditch was constructed in 1865 to bring water to the Town of New Harmony.
The concrete lined Town Ditch as it exists today seems to have been constructed between 1946 and 1948.
The Town Ditch is owned and maintainted by the New Harmony Reservoir and Irrigation Company.
REFERENCESHistoric Context and Detailed Documentation of the Main Canyon Ditch, Town Ditch, Comanche Dam (42WS4376), and Comanche Ditch (42WS2507), New Harmony, Washington County, Utah
by Dale R Gourley and Jon Baxter (Bighorn Arhaeological Consultants, LLC)
for The Town of New Harmony and St. George Field Office of the Bureau of Land Management
Report Number 05-03