WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
NEW HARMONY IRRIGATION CANAL
New Harmony, Utah
HISTORYThe first canal supplying water to the Town of New Harmony was constructed in 1865 at a cost of $3,000. This earthen canal was six miles long, six feet wide, and three feet deep. It carried water from Ash Creek, Kanarra Creek, Spring Creek, and Big Spring to the community and surrounding farm lands.
The canal was to supply water to the Southern Division of the Utah Militia which was camped within Harmony Flats during the falls of 1866 and 1867 while training for the Black Hawk War.