WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
(later Kelsey's Ranch)
LOCATIONOn the bluff north of and overlooking Ash Creek Reservoir.
37° 25' North Latitude, 113° 14' West Longitude
37.419° North Latitude, 113.241° West Longitude
4,731 feet (1,442 meters) MSL
HISTORYIn 1852, John D. Lee and others settled Old Harmony on Ash Creek, later known as Kelsey's Ranch.
The name Harmony came from Harmony, Pennsylvania where the Mormon Prophet, Joseph Smith, translated the Book of Mormon. The local settlers also liked the name because it suggested the harmony and united action the pioneers wanted to engender during their periods of trial and hardship.
Old Harmony was abandoned between 1853 and 1854 due to the Walker Indian war. In 1854, some missionaries from the Indian Mission arrived and Fort Harmony was built.
PHOTOSPhotos on the web:
REFERENCESNew Harmony Heritage
New Harmony Heritage on Facebook
"Harmony, Fort Harmony, New Harmony and Surrounding Area"
Book by Sheldon Grant
Salt Lake City: Sheldon Grant, 1992, 2001