WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
LOCATIONJust west of 965 Manzanita Road
St. George, Utah 84790-7521 (Bloomington)
37° 2' 46.36" North Latitude, 113° 36' 22.77" West Longitude
2,521 feet MSL
HISTORYThe foundation was built by Lars James Larson, sometime around 1879. The building was very handsome when completed. It had hardwood floors.
The building was used both for school and church. It was the social center of the town.
Edna Cragun was the first teacher at the new Bloomington schoolhouse. Eliza Carpenter Jones (born 1/24/1911) was the last person to teach there.
Around 1926, the school district began busing Bloomington children to St. George for school.
Only the foundation remains today.
Other WCHS photos:
WCHS-00991 Photo of a corner of the foundation of the old Bloomington Schoolhouse
WCHS-00992 Photo of a brick from the exterior of the old Bloomington Schoolhouse