St. George Logo

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

ST. GEORGE CITY STREETS

St. George, Utah

The town was laid out in 1862. A basic city block was 32 rods (528 feet) square, with each divided into 8 lots of 8 (132 feet) x 16 (264 feet) rods. The lots were numbered clockwise, commencing at the southeast corner, as shown on Blocks 9 and 10 of Plat C.

The principal streets are 90 feet wide (enough for a team and wagon to turn around).
400 South (aka Parade Street) was 20 feet wider (from ??? to ???) to be used for community parades.


HISTORY

There was only one stoplight in town in the 1950s (100 North = Highway 91 at Main Street). A second one had been added by 1973.

Many of the street names have changed over time:

North-South Streets

Bluff Street   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
State Highway 18

Sixth West   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Short Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
600 West

Fifth West   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Grape Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
500 West

Fourth West   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Vine Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
400 West

Third West   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Clara Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
300 West

Second West   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Washington Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
200 West

First West   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Centre Street
100 West

Main Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)

First East   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Maple Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
100 East

Second East   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
West Temple Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
200 East

Third East   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
East Temple Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
300 East

Fourth East
Centre Avenue   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
400 East

Fifth East
Cotton Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
500 East

Sixth East
Mulberry Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
600 East

Seventh East
Elm Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
700 East   =   University Avenue

Eighth East
Walnut Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
800 East

Ninth East
Chestnut Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
900 East

Tenth East
Magnolia Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
1000 East

Palm Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
1100 East

Rio Virgen Avenue   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
1200 East

Orange Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
1300 East

Olive Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
1400 East

Ridge Street   (on the 10/6/1877 street map)
1500 East

East-West Streets

Seventh North   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
700 North

Sixth North   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
600 North

Fifth North   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
500 North

Fourth North   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
400 North

Third North   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
300 North

Second North   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
200 North

First North   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
US Highway 91
St. George Blvd.
State Highway 34

Tabernacle Street   (on the Old Pioneer Map)

First South   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
100 South

Second South   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
200 South

Third South   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
300 South

Fourth South   (on the Old Pioneer Map)
Parade Street
400 South


MAPS

1862 Street Map (WCHS-00591)
1961 Street Map
2010 St. George Basemap
2010 St. George Street Map Book


PHOTOS

WCHS photos:
WCHS-00512     Composite aerial photo of the center of St. George around 1980
WCHS-00513     Aerial photo of a part of St. George around 1980
WCHS-00514     Aerial photo of a part of St. George around 1980
WCHS-00515     Aerial photo of a part of St. George around 1980
WCHS-00516     Aerial photo of a part of St. George around 1980
WCHS-00517     Aerial photo of a part of St. George around 1980
WCHS-00518     Aerial photo of the south end of Dixie Drive around 1980
WCHS-01089     Photo of Tabernacle looking east from Main Street around the 1960s
WCHS-03203     Photo of buildings on the east side of the first north block of Main Street in St. George


REFERENCES

Buildings on 100 North from Main Street to 100 East