WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
THE UTAH POMOLOGIST
St. George, Utah
LOCATIONSt. George, Utah
HISTORYThe Utah Pomologist was first published on April 1, 1870 by Joseph E. Johnson. It was devoted to fruit growing and the gardening.
The title was later changed to The Utah Pomologist and Gardner devoted to the orchard, vineyard, farm, and garden.
The name was later changed to The Pomologist and Silver Reef Echo as Silver Reef mining began to boom.
Again, Johnson changed the name to The Silver Reef Echo, which first published on Feb. 24, 1877. He made it a six day a week daily.
The paper was then sold to G. W. Crouch and James N. Louder and renamed it The Silver Reef Miner which first appeared in August 1878.
REFERENCESSouthern Utah Memories: Newspapers of Washington County, Utah, 1864 to 1994 - Part 1 of a two-part series, December 15, 2012
by Loren R. Webb, December 15, 2012