WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
OUR DIXIE TIMES and THE RIO VIRGEN TIMES
St. George, Utah
LOCATIONSt. George, Utah
HISTORYOur Dixie Times was published by Joseph Ellis Johnson beginning on January 22, 1868.
On May 13, 1868, the name of the paper was changed to The Rio Virgen [sic] Times to distance itself from the southern states which had seceded from the Union.
Problems plagued the newspaper including the diffuculty of getting paper supplies, breakdowns of the printing press, and lack of paying subscribers. The paper ceased publication in 1869.
REFERENCESSouthern Utah Memories: Newspapers of Washington County, Utah, 1864 to 1994 - Part 1 of a two-part series, December 15, 2012
by Loren R. Webb, December 15, 2012