Nelson/Mathis Mercantile

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

NELSON/MATHIS MERCANTILE

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

74 East Tabernacle
St. George, Utah
Telephone ???                           in the 1941 telephone book     (???)
Telephone ORchard 3-????     in the 1958 telephone book     (???)
Telephone ORchard 3-????     in the 1961 telephone book     (???)
Telephone 673-????                 in the 1972 telephone book     (???)


HISTORY

Will and Ernest Nelson operated this mercantile until 1924, when they took on another partner, Gordon Mathis. It was then that a new facade featuring prism glass windows was added (a subsequent property owner has since painted over the prism glass with brown paint).

The building was restored to its original appearance in 1992. Included in that restoration is what is believed to be the original tin ceiling and Douglas Fir flooring.

Added in 1920, St. George's only remaining sidewalk elevator can be seen in front of the store.

This was a recipient of the Mayor's Award for Historic Sites for the year 1992.


PHOTOS

TBD


REFERENCES

Landmark and Historic Sites: Informational Guide of Historical Sites within the City of St. George
Second Edition,   Revised 2011,   p. 79
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department