In 1889 the LaVerkin Fruit and Nursery Company
was incorporated with Thomas Judd as president.
The purpose of the company was to establish nursery orchards and vineyards,
manufacture wine and liquor, and promote fruit raising, stock raising, and
general farming. Irrigation water for the orchards was obtained by taking water out
of the Virgin River and transporting it by a canal.
The canal was a difficult engineering feat as a tunnel was made through solid rock and supporting rock walls
and fills were frequently necessary. Construction in the canal lasted nearly two
years and it was not until the Spring of 1891 that the fruit trees were planted.