The Electric Theatre at night 7/11/2003

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

THE ELECTRIC THEATRE   (GAIETY THEATRE)

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

68 E. Tabernacle Street
St. George, UT 84770
(435)688-7469


HISTORY

The Electric Theatre was built in 1911 by the St. George Amusement Company at a cost of $7,500. Builders include Charlie Whipple, Johnnie Pymm, and Sherman Hardy. The walls of the 220-seat theatre are adobe and are nearly three feet thick. It was the first air-conditioned building in St. George. The theatre opened on September 6, 1911.

R. M. Reber purchased the Electric Theatre in 1930 for $10,000. He remodeled it. A contest offered five dollars to the person who could come up with the best name for the theatre after which it was renamed the Gaiety Theatre.

The Electric Theatre was totally renovated in 1991 by R. M. Reber. The name Electric Theatre was restored.

The Electric Theatre stopped showing movies after 1999.

In April 2003, the Flowers family reopened the Electric for music, bands, and live entertainment. 143 seats are available to the public on the main floor of the auditorium. The balcony is reserved for bands and their guests and includes 50 seats, couches, tables, and a buffet table.

In February of 2013, the city purchased the Electric Theatre and three other parcels surrounding the theatre for $950,000 from Craig & Linda Flowers.

The property was renovated.

The new Electric Theatre Complex had a grand opening on August 28-29, 2015 with a dedication ceremony on the 28th.


PHOTOS

WCHS-00520  Electric Theatre
WCHS-00520     Front of the Electric Theatre taken 12/13/2009


REFERENCES

Landmark and Historic Sites: Informational Guide of Historical Sites within the City of St. George
Second Edition,   Revised 2011,   p. 79
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department

St. George Electric Theater Promotion

St. George Electric Theater Photo Plays

Century-old theater may get makeover
by David DeMille
The Spectrum,   February 2, 2014

Electric Theater grand opening showcases St. George commitment to arts
by George Scott
The Independent, August 31, 2015