WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
THE DIXIE ADVOCATE
St. George, Utah and later Virgin, Utah
LOCATIONSt. George, Utah
HISTORYThe Dixie Advocate was first published on September 6, 1901 by the Wilkinson Brothers (Charles S. Wilkinson and Joseph T. Wilkinson, Jr.). It came out weekly and sometimes had supplements.
Joseph edited part time, but left to become a school teacher in Littlefield, Arizona.
Correspondents from local towns gave it good support and advertisers also patronized it. It even carried news from Cedar City in its columns.
The paper moved to Virgin City near the end of 1907 because of the oil boom, but found no real advertising bonanza there and was discontinued.
Ad from the Utah State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1903-1904, Volume 2
Published by R. L. Polk & Co.
REFERENCESSouthern Utah Memories: Newspapers of Washington County, Utah, 1864 to 1994 - Part Two
by Loren R. Webb, December 23, 2012
J. Cecil Alter
"Early Utah Journalism: a half century of forensic warfare, waged by the West's most militant press"
Salt Lake City: Utah State Historical Society
October 1938, 405 pages
Libraries that have The Dixie Advocate: