WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
SANTA CLARA ADOBE SCHOOL
Santa Clara, Utah
LOCATIONJust outside of Fort Clara.
This building no longer exists.
DESCRIPTIONMade of adobe brick, it measured 24 feet x 16 feet.
HISTORYThis building was constructed in 1858 by the Indian Missionaries with the help of some people returning from San Bernardino.
It was used for both a school and a church. Rachel Judd Hamblin was the first school teacher there.
When 26 Swiss families arrived to settle Santa Clara in November of 1861, they camped around the adobe school building. Some of them slept in the school while others slept in the fort.
This building, along with the fort, was washed away by a flood on January 1-2, 1862.
The next school building/church was constructed on the newly laid out town square.
REFERENCESHistory of Santa Clara, Utah: a Blossom in the Desert
Compiled and edited by Joyce Wittwer Whittaker
Published by the Santa Clara Historical Society, 2003.