WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
MT. TRUMBULL SCHOOL
Mt. Trumbull (Bundyville), Arizona
HISTORYThe Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse was built in 1918. It was used for a school, church, dance hall, and town meeting facility.
As the population around the schoolhouse dwindled, it fell into disrepair. In 1966, its doors closed.
In 1990, restoration efforts began and were completed four years later, restoring the schoolhouse to its near original condition.
On July 31, 2000, arsonists burned the building down. A restoration committee made the decision to build a schoolhouse replica. The restoration was completed in partnership with some of the descendents of the first settlers of Mt. Trumbull, the BLM, and contributions from the public. The Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse was rededicated on October 13, 2001 and continues to be a symbol of the pioneer spirit of the Arizona Strip.
REFERENCESMt. Trumbull Schoolhouse, Grand Canyon-Parashant Nat'l Monument
U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
Southern Utah Memories: Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse Story,
by Loren R. Webb, November 1, 2013