WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
THE TEMPLE TRAIL
The old pioneer Temple Trail was used to move lumber
80 miles from Mt. Trumbull to St. George
for use in the construction of the
St. George Temple.
ROUTEThere were two alternate routes making up the Temple Trail:
The main trail dropped down over the Hurricane Cliffs about 8 miles south of the Utah/Arizona border and continued up to the Ft. Pearce Wash and on into St. George. The trip took about 7 days.
The alternate route went to Antelope Springs where lumber could be stored until snow closed the sawmills. From there, the trail went down over the Hurricane Cliffs just south of the Utah/Arizona border and joined what would later become the Honeymoon Trail. It followed the Ft. Pearce Wash into St. George.
HISTORYForty-five volunteers from local communities constructed the roadways during April and May of 1874.
There were two sawmills at Nixon Springs on the south face of Mt. Trumbull. They only worked during the warmer months, but produced over a million board feet of lumber.
From 1874 through 1876, lumber was hauled by ox team to St. George for use in construction of the St. George L.D.S. Temple.
WCHS-02359 Plaque telling about the Sawmill Sites at the origin of the Temple Trail at Mt. Trumbull
WCHS-02360 Site of the first sawmill on Mt. Trumbull where the Temple Trail originated
WCHS-02361 A GC-PNM plaque: "From a Forest Cathedral to a Desert Temple"
WCHS-02362 A BLM marker on the site of the old Mt. Trumbull sawmill
WCHS-02363 A BLM marker and a segment of the original Temple Trail
WCHS-02364 A segment of the original Temple Trail
WCHS-02365 A BLM Temple Trail interpretive sign
REFERENCESMarkers and Monuments Database: Pioneer Honeymoon, Temple Trails"
Utah Division of State History, Utah Department of Heritage & Arts