WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
(early settler of St. George, stone cutter)
BIOGRAPHYWilson Lund was born in Bethnal Green, Westmoreland County England on February 9, 1815.
Wilson took Ellen Nielson as a plural wife in March of 1860.
Wilson and his families were called in the October 1862 conference to go to St. George. They arrived on New Year's Day in 1863.
In the spring of 1864, Wilson and one or two other families were sent to Shoal Creek to help the Terry and Pulsipher families tend cattle. Wilson took Ellen and her two young children with him while Eliza's family stayed in St. George.
Some time around 1867, Wilson thought Ellen and the children could do better at Pine Valley, so he moved them there. Their first house was a little two room log affair, bettered later on. Here the family struggled along with a bare existence for about seven or eight years.
About 1875 they left Pine Valley and moved back to Shoal Creek, which was then called Hebron, quite a thriving little community.
After the St. George Temple was completed and dedicated in 1877, President Brigham Young gave Wilson a blessing and told him to go and live where he could be most comfortable and happy. Through the years as he peddled his grind stones up and down the country he liked the little town of Paragonah in northern Iron County. He thought it would be a good place to bring his growing boys because land was still available for home steading. It was in 1881 that he took his wife, Ellen, and family and moved to Paragonah.
Wilson died July 26, 1889 in Paragonah, Iron County, Utah.
There was no cemetery in Paragonah at the time, so he was buried in Plot 03-21-01 of the Parowan City Cemetery.
REFERENCESWilson Lund Family History compiled by Russ Bateman
Find-A-Grave entry for Wilson Lund
Find-A-Grave entry for Eliza Brace Lund
Find-A-Grave entry for Ellen Nielsen Lund