WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
SAMUEL LORENZO ADAMS
(early St. George resident, blacksmith)
BIOGRAPHYSamuel Lorenzo Adams was a successful blacksmith from the time he came to Utah in 1852 until his death in 1910. He established the first blacksmith shop in St. George in 1864 and made many contributions to the growth of St. George and the surrounding areas.
Adams had many accomplishments. He established the first flour mill and the first cotton gin used in southern Utah. He invented a nail making machine that produced nails used in the first buildings in St. George. This nail making machine can still be seen at the Daughter of Utah Pioneers Museum.
Samuel hand forged components for building construction that can still be seen today, such as the "S" braces used in the old County Court House and the chandeliers that were used in the Opera House for many years.
He also built the first horse drawn hearse in St. George. It was made from forged iron and wood. This hearse was used for many years and was used to take Adams to his own grave. It was used until a motor powered hearse was bought.
Iron work was very difficult in those days. Samuel had to mine and smelt the iron ore that he then hand forged with hammer & anvil into usable shapes. He told many stories about trips to the grand gulch mine and encounters with Indians and other hazards along the way.
REFERENCESA Biography of Samuel Lorenzo Adams
by LaRee McAllister Jones
A Brief History of Samuel L. Adams - The Beginnings of Adams Welding and Ornamental Iron
Genealogy of Samuel Lorenzo Adams
Sandi Martin's blog story of Samuel Lorenzo Adams
February 15, 1883 letter from Samuel Lorenzo Adams to John M. Macfarlane ( click here for a higher resolution version)