WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
THE DIXIE "D"
St. George, Utah
The Dixie "D" is an arrangement of whitewashed rocks on the side of the Black Hill [mesa] on the west side of St. George.
It is now outlined with electric lights that are on at night.
HISTORYIt was originally designed by Wilford Cannon and constructed on February 14, 1915 by students of the old Dixie Academy. It has slowly evolved over the years. Floodlights were added in 19?? to light it at night. In 200?, it was outlined in high-intensity electric lights.
The "D" is whitewashed each year on the Saturday of D-Week.
Whitewashing the Dixie "D"
WCHS-00357 Photo of the Dixie "D" and telephone microwave reflector on the Black Hill
WCHS-00295 Photos of the new West Elementary School with the Dixie "D" in the background (1956)
WCHS-00110 Photo of the A&W Drive-in in St. George with the Dixie "D" in the background (6/16/1967)
WCHS-00291 Photo of portable classrooms at West Elementary School with the Dixie "D" in the background (1987)
Other photos on the web:
Old photo of the St. George Tabernacle with the Black Hill and Dixie "D" in the background
Photo of the house at 162 South 300 West in St. George with the Black Hill and Dixie "D" in the background
Article from around 1983-1987 with a photo showing the Black Hill and Dixie "D" in the background
REFERENCESD-Week Traditions Remembered
Dixie State Magazine, Spring 2008
The article on Page 8 describes the beginning and some of the history of the Dixie "D" and includes some photos.
History of the term, "Dixie".