WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
LELAND "LEE" & ELSIE HAFEN HOME
St. George, Utah
LOCATION6 East 100 South
St. George, Utah
Plat A, Block 12, West End of Lot 5 on the old pioneer map of St. George.
37° 6' 22.63" North Latitude, 113° 34' 59.09" West Longitude
37.1063° North Latitude, 113.5831° West Longitude
2,720 feet (829 meters) MSL
HISTORYIn 1862, I. Ivins Co. Surveryors granted all of Plat A, Block 12, Lot 5 to William G. Perkins.
In 1894, Hanna Perkins sold the lot to Richard Morris and his wife.
In 1903, Richard Morris and his wife sold the lot to St. Georg Morris. [???]
Don C. Price built a 3 bedroom bungalow and grainery on the west half of the property in 1904.
In 1922, Don C. Price and his wife sold the property to Mary A. S. Worthen.
In 1924, Mary A. Worthen and Charles R. Worthen, Jr. transfered the property to Charles R. Worthen.
In 1928, "Coach" Leland (Lee) Hafen and his wife, Elsie, purchased the lot on the southeast corner of Main Street and 100 South (approximately .40 acres) from Charles R. Worthen. It is located catty-corner to the old college. The bungalow on this property would serve as the Hafen family home until 1941. To this day the home is referred to as "the green house on the corner".
In 1939, Lee & Elsie decided to build a larger more "fashionable" home on the east half of the parcel. For a description of it, see the Hafen Home at 20 East 100 South. The family continued to live in the bungalow until the new home was finished in 1941.
Summers in St. George are hot. When the family was living in the original bungalow on the corner, they would sleep on a deck that was attached to the grainery. This practice continued even after they moved into their new home. With the advent of evaporative cooling, the practice was discontinued in the mid 1950s, and in time, the sleeping deck was dismantled.
In the years after the Hafens moved into their new house next door, this bungalow was rented out to a number of different people. At one time, Juanita Brooks lived in the upper floor of the grainery in back of the house.
During the first half of the 20th century, the neighborhood was both urban and rural. Just east of the two Hafen homes was the Charlie & Annie Whipple residence and the Whipple Lumber Yard. Just to the east of the Whipples, there were city tennis courts. In the center of the block there was a compound of corrals, chicken coops, and 6 barns that accommodated the livestock of surrounding residents including horses, dairy cows, and chickens. All of these buildings are long gone and have been replaced by office buildings and condominiums. The only remaining vestige is a driveway "entry to no-where" off 100 South. The Victor Sullivan family lived just to the south and the Walter Cannon family across the street.
Richard & Marti Hafen are in the process of restoring this home.
William G. Perkins
Richard Morris & wife
St. Georg Morris [???]
Don C. Price & wife
Mary A. S. Worthen
Mary A. Worthen & Charles R. Worthen, Jr.
Charles R. Worthen
Leland & Elsie Hafen
Richard & Marti Hafen
BIOGRAPHYLeland & Elsie Hafen click here.