Joe Burgess Home

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

JOE BURGESS HOME

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

172 North 100 West
St. George, UT 84770

Plat A, Block 30, Lot 4 on the old pioneer map of St. George.

37° 6' xx.xx" North Latitude,   113° 34' xx.xx" West Longitude
2,xxx feet MSL

Tax ID# SG-XXX-x-x-x


DESCRIPTION

The home is constructed of a lava block foundation, concrete block walls, and wood frame. The formed cement blocks became popular in the early part of the 20th century when the stone masons, who had brought their trade from the old country, started becoming extinct. The forms were made so the blocks had the exterior texture of hand cut sandstone blocks.

There were 14 rooms in the original house.


HISTORY

Joe "Jode" Burgess built this house in 1916 (another account says 1911). He hauled lava rock from the nearby Black Hill for the foundation stones and constructed the home out of formed cement blocks made by Lime Canfield. The lumber used was from the family sawmill in Pine Valley.

The house passed to daughter, Nina Fawcett.

Upon Nina's death, the house was sold to Pamela Norris in 1976. The house was restored between 1976 and 1979.


BIOGRAPHY

Joe Burgess TBD


PHOTOS

Joe Burgess Home


REFERENCES

Landmark and Historic Sites: City of St. George
First Edition,   January 2, 2009,   pp. 34-1 through 34-2
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department

Landmark and Historic Sites: Informational Guide of Historical Sites within the City of St. George
Second Edition,   Revised 2011,   pp. 45-46
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department