James & Manomas Andrus Home

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

JAMES & MANOMAS ANDRUS HOME

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

164 West 100 South
St. George, UT 84770


HISTORY

When James Andrus decided to move his families to St. George from his ranch in Canaan in 1886, he acquired this lot that was originally owned by Mr. James Houston. He built this house for his wife Manomas. He also built a house for his other wife, Laura, at 196 West 100 South.

This house was a 1.5 story adobe home. It is representative of the Greek Revival Period, characterized by the columns and dentil moldings.

After being in foreclosure, the home was purchased by the City of St. George on March 5, 2013 for $240,000.


BIOGRAPHY

James Andrus was known as the cattle baron of southern Utah. He was a pioneer, indian fighter, bishop, businessman, statesman, and accomplished equestrian.

Manomas Lavinia Gibson Andrus lived from 1842 to 1940. At the time of her death she was the oldest living original 1847 Utah pioneer. She arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on July 29, 1847, one week after the Brigham Young party.


PHOTOS

TBD


REFERENCES

Landmark and Historic Sites: City of St. George
First Edition,   January 2, 2009,   pp. 18-1 through 18-3
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department

Landmark and Historic Sites: Informational Guide of Historical Sites within the City of St. George
Second Edition,   Revised 2011,   p. 85
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department