St. George Presbyterian Church

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

ST. GEORGE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

259 West 200 North
St. George, UT 84770


HISTORY

Arthur Cort, a Presbyterian minister began conducting services in a home at 259 West 200 North in St, George.

In 1901, the first Presbyterian church was dedicated at that location.

That building was expanded in 1913.

Sarah Louisa Conklin came to St. George in 1913 as a missionary and teacher. She taught a school and worked in the Mormon community. She retired as a missionary in 1933, but continued her teaching and social work until her death in 1949. After her death, Presbyterian activities in the area went dormant for many years.

The old Presbyterian church building remained vacant from the time of Sarah Conklin's death until it was purchased by the Roman Catholic Church in 1951.


PHOTOS

Photos on the web:
Photo of the Presbyterian Church in St. George
Photo of the Presbyterian Church in St. George
Photo of the Green River UT [???, mislabeled as St. George] Presbyterian Church
Map indicating the various Presbyterian churches, schools, and missions in the state of Utah
Map indicating various Presbyterian institutions in the southwest part of Utah
Photo of Frances R. Burke, a Presbyterian missionary and teacher in Toquerville
Early 1900s photo of Presbyterian Mission in St. George Christmas group


REFERENCES

Douglas D. Alder and Karl F. Brooks, "A History of Washington County from Isolation to Destination", pp. 278-280.

Lyman Hafen and Linda Sappington, "The Insiders' Guide to Southwestern Utah", p. 336.

Article about the Presbyterian church bell