WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
SILVER REEF PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Silver Reef, Utah
LOCATIONThe Silver Reef Presbyterian congregation never had their own church building.
They met in the Citizen's Hall (Rice Hall) in Silver Reef.
HISTORYIn 1876, Silver Reef had Presbyterian congregation.
In 1880, Reverend Arthur B. Cort was living in St. George, but preaching in St. George, Silver Reef, and other places.
Reverend Edwin N. Murphy served as resident Presbyterian minister at Silver Reef and preached at
Toquerville every two weeks from 1881-1883. He then left to take charge of other mission work.
Many of the school teachers at Silver Reef were sent from the Presbytery of Utah:
Miss Rose Hartwell (1883-1884)
Professor A. J. Geyer (1886-1888)
Mrs. A. J. Geyer (1886-1888)
Mr. M. Burney (1887-1888)
Miss Della R. Lewis (1888-1889)
In 1888, Arthur was again listed as minister at Silver Reef, with 14 church elders and 95 Sunday School men.
In 1888, Silver Reef was still listed as a congregation of the Presbyterian Church.
That year, contributions were recorded as $10 to the Home Mission and $8 to the Sunday School.
The congregation continued on the books of the Synod of Utah until 1893.
REFERENCESArthur B Cort and the Silver Reef Presbyterian Church
A research report by Elaine Young, PhD.