WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
LAVERKIN SANITORIUM AND RESORT COMPANY
LOCATIONIn 1918, the company established a business office in LaVerkin.
HISTORYThe LaVerkin Sanitorium and Resort Company was incorporated in 1915 to develop and establish a resort at Sulphur Springs. The initial officers were:
Andrew B. Christenson, President and Director
Brigham Jarvis, Vice President and Director
Morris Wilson Jr., Director
Sarah B. Christenson, Director
John T. Woodbury, Secretary, Treasurer, and Director
5,000 shares of capital stock were authorized.
At a meeting held in St. George on April 20, 1918, the new officers of the company were:
Morris Wilson, Jr., President and Director
Joseph E. Gubler, Vice President and Director
Wilford Thompson, Director
George Judd, Director
Roland E. Fletcher, Director
George M. Martineau, Jr., Secretary and Treasurer
It was decided that the company should establish an office at LaVerkin and the business of the company be transacted there.
By June 10, 1936, Morris Wilson had accumulated enough stock to get the controlling vote at the stockholder's meetings. Since the beginning of the corporation, the question of selling out had kept popping up. Now with Morris Wilson in control, he proposed that the stockholders either sell to him or buy him out. Eventually they sold to him, and the resort went into private ownership. The minutes of the La Verkin Sanitorium and Resort Company came to a finish. The minute book was acquired by Wayne Wilson.
REFERENCESEarly history of the Pah Tempe Mineral Hot Springs