Dixie Photo Shop

WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY     (Washington County, Utah)

DIXIE PHOTO SHOP

St. George, Utah

LOCATION

24 East Tabernacle
St. George, Utah                       Not listed in the 1941 telephone book
Telephone 669                           in the 1954 telephone book     (Dixie Photo Studio)

16 East Tabernacle
St. George, Utah
Telephone ORchard 3-2191     in the 1958 telephone book     (Dixie Studio & Camera Shop)
Telephone ORchard 3-2191     in the 1961 telephone book     (Dixie Studio & Camera Shop of St George)

34 East Tabernacle
St. George, Utah
Telephone 673-2191                 in the 1972 telephone book     (Dixie Studio & Camera Shop of St George)

34 1/2 East Tabernacle
St. George, Utah
Telephone 673-5159                 in the 1972 telephone book     (Jack Durant)


HISTORY

The building was built in the early 1920s.

At various times, the building was the home of The Washington County News, the Zions Cooperative Mercantile Institue (Z.C.M.I.), the U. S. Post Office, Leany Shoe and Repair Shop, a pool hall, Brooks Floral Shop, and the Dixie Photo Studio and Camera Shop.

Thomas Porter Durrant (aka Jack or T.P. Durrant) purchased a photo shop on the main floor of the Arrowhead Hotel from Mr. Rollins in November of 1955.

Durrant moved the Dixie Photo Shop to 34 East Tabernacle in 1964. He ran the business from that location until his death in 1999.

The shop still remains at that location.


PHOTOS

WCHS photos
WCHS-01859     Photo of the Leany Shoes, Dixie Drug, and Dixie Photo stores
WCHS-01860     Photo of Dixie Drug with Dixie Photo Shop next door


REFERENCES

Landmark and Historic Sites: Informational Guide of Historical Sites within the City of St. George
Second Edition,   Revised 2011,   p. 81
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department

Southern Utah Memories: Dixie Photo Studio,
by Loren R. Webb,   January 17, 2014