WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
St. George, Utah
This structure is assumed to have been built by Sheriff Hardy around 1880.
The one-room building was constructed from black lava rock hauled from the nearby foothills.
The windows retain the original bars.
LOCATIONOn Ancestor Square in St. George
Northwest corner of St. George Blvd. and Main Street
HISTORYThis structure is assumed to have been built by Sheriff Hardy around 1880.
The building was used as a granary for a while.
Other WCHS photos:
WCHS-00206 Photo of the plaque in front of the old Jail House
WCHS-00207 Photo of the front (south) and west sides of the old Jail House
WCHS-00208 Photo of the back (north) and west sides of the old Jail House
WCHS-00209 Photo of the east side of the old Jail House
Other photos on the web:
St. George Jail
REFERENCESLandmark and Historic Sites: Informational Guide of Historical Sites within the City of St. George
Second Edition, Revised 2011, p. 47
Compiled by the St. George Community Development Department