WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
BROWSE GUARD STATION
LOCATION37° 23' 7.99" North Latitude, 113° 21' 11.02" West Longitude
37.3856° North Latitude, 113.3531° West Longitude
6,095 feet (1,858 meters) elevation
Township, Range, Section: T39S, R13W, S19
HISTORYThis site was first developed in 1921 as the 179-acre Mill Creek Browse Experimental Range with an enclosure to study the use of browse vegetation as summer forage for cattle.
Two years later, a small cabin was built.
Grazing of cattle was discontinued there in 1929 but, four years later, the Forest Supervisor approved construction of four exclosures (areas fenced to keep out wildlife and stock) to support deer management studies.
In 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a Plan 5 guard station and a Plan 70 outhouse; the 1923 cabin became a woodshed/storeroom. Regional landscape architect H. L. Curtiss prepared a landscape plan that included wild grape, native grasses, spruce, cedar, rose, willows, snowberry, apple trees, an irrigation ditch, sidewalks and parking for four cars.
Despite these early improvements, the site was not formally withdrawn until 7/7/1953 and again in 1959. The Forest Service recommended the 1959 withdrawal (120 acres) be released in 1986.
Beginning in 1960, the Forest Service shared the guard station with the Utah Fish and Game Department for use as seasonal housing. The site was intact with its three buildings and corral when the Sequoia Fire of 2002 swept through the canyon. Remarkably, everything around the station burned but the buildings were unharmed, thanks to clearing of flammable materials the previous year. Subsequent rains on the fire-damaged land led to a mudslide, flooding, and loss of the 1923 shed.
A restoration plan was developed in 1996 and the following year, the Utah State Historic Preservation Office concurred with the Forest's determination that the Browse Guard Station is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
Front of the Browse Guard Station
SUU-0030 Front of the Browse Guard Station
Photos on the web:
REFERENCESForest Report No. DX-96-0736
Browse Guard Station Restoration
by Forest Archeologist Marian Jacklin, 12/31/1996.
The Digital Archaeological Record (tDAR ID: 334657)
Letter about the Browse Guard Station's eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places
From Barbara L. Murphy (SHPO) to Marian Jacklin (USFS)
March 5, 1997, Case No. 97-0153.
By Richa Wilson (Regional Architectural Historian, USDA Forest Service)
Administrative Facilities of the Dixie National Forest, 1902-1955
Historic Context Statement & Site Evaluations
Forest Service Report No. DX-04-946, May 2004
See Pages 35-36 and 66-68
SOUTHERN UTAH MEMORIES: Browse Guard Station and the redwood tree comprise unique part of Pine Valley Mountain,
by Loren R. Webb, December 6, 2013
A visit to Southern Utah's giant sequoia
Article and photos by Jud Burkett
The Spectrum, August 25, 2016