WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
BELLEVUE (PINTURA) COMMUNITY BUILDING
Bellevue (later Pintura), Utah
DESCRIPTION18 foot x 25 foot cobblestone building. It had one well-lighted, white-washed room with a pulpit and benches.
HISTORYIn 1883, Ebebezar Hanks directed the construction of a building in Bellevue to be used for public purposes including school, church, and recreation hall. The ground was donated, local materials were used, and labor was donated.
Teachers who taught school there included James C. Snow, Rosena Sylvester Jarvis, Mary Ann Mansfield, and Rea Birch.
Programs and dances were the main ammusements. James Sylvester played the violin.
Title eventually came into the hands of the county superintendant of schools. The building was condemned and the superintendant sold the building for a mere $10,000, much to the chagrin of the local residents.
REFERENCESWashington County Chapter, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, " Under Dixie Sun".
1950 with 1978 Supplement.