WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY (Washington County, Utah)
CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION (January, 2007)
to Kim Campbell and Sidney & Mary Ann Atkin
for the restoration and preservation of the Atkin Home
Kim Campbell and Sidney & Mary Ann Atkin are recognized for the restoration
and preservation of the Atkin Home located at 46 North 200 East in St. George.
Right east from the Washington County Administration Building parking lot is a home at 46 North 200 East. People who drive by have noticed that the handsome two story building has been restored and turned into the offices of Campbell and Associates (architects). Kim Campbell purchased the home from the Sid Atkin family in 2001 and began the historical restoration of the building.
When asked why he chose to do that instead of constructing a new office building for his work, Kim responded that he much prefered the restored atmosphere. "It is like working in Grandma's house. It is quaint. There are no florescent lights, no hubub. We have a garden. The home is a wonderful, warm atmosphere and it is a great location."
The land was originally deeded to Joseph Young, mayor of the City of St. George, by President Ulysses S. Grant on July 10, 1872. This was the time when the federal government had recently opened a land office to allow citizens to obtain private ownership of their land instead of just being squatters on unsurveyed public land. Mayor Young deeded the lot to Daniel Seegmiller for $400 in 1874. Seegmiller began building a home on the property and was called on a mission to England from 1877 to 1879. While he was gone, his two wives, Artemsia Snow Wooley Seegmiller and Ellen Smith Seegmiller finished two rooms and the kitchen (doing all the work themselves) so they could move into the home. Ellen died three months after Daniel returned from his mission. When Daniel moved to Alton, Utah in 1886, he sold the home to Thomas Judd for $900. Judd sold it two years later to his son Samuel Judd for $1000. In 1893 Joseph T. and Eleanor Atkin purchased it from Samuel Judd for $1400. In 1896 Joseph's wife died and a year later he married Susie Jane Fawcett. They had several children. Joseph died in 1938 at the age of 75 but Susie remained in the home until 1962 when she died at the age of 87. During those years an apartment was built in the home and rented to children of the Atkins as they married.
In 1963 Sidney and Mary Ann Atkin bought the home for $10,000 and did extensive remodeling, including eliminating the apartment and including its space in their family area. During those years Sidney was involved in the Sugar Loaf Cafe and the Rodeway Inn and Skywest Airlines and served in the Utah State Legislature.
When Kim Campbell recently purchased the home, he determined to remodel it with as much attention to historical authenticity as possible. He uncovered the original pine wood floors, redesigned the stairway, used African mahogony woodwork throughout, rebuilt the original doors, including the original glass, repaired the original front fence with antique metal parts that matched. He noted that when they worked in the ceiling they discovered that the spaced roof sheeting is rough sawed board 24 inches wide, probably made at Mt. Trumbull, something one could not obtain today.
The resulting building is an efficient office, but much more it is an inspiring place to be. It is an honor to the Dixie pioneers and a fine addition to the revitalization of historic downtown St. George. The Washington County Historical Society honors Kim Campbell for his restoration of the fine building and also honors Sidney and Mary Ann Atkin for its preservation.